We work with a number of colleges and universities in Malaysia to assist with upskilling of students to prepare them for the workplace. To date we have trained over 1,000 students and assisted them with employment.
There are three main thrusts to our work:
1. Graduate Employability
We are running our Certified IP Associate (CIPA) and Certified IP Engineer (CIPE) under a number of initiatives for upskilling of fresh graduates, including the GEMS2.0 and 3P programs. This provides a number of benefits to the graduates.
- Programs have industry recognition
- Professional qualification integrated to academic programs to build hands-on skills in addition to academic knowledge
- Provides graduates with an edge, making them more employable
- Provides a career route for working professionals to update or develop their relevant skills in new areas for career advancement
- Feedback from the programs is consistently excellent with students highlighting the troubleshooting and problem solving attributes as the most enjoyable and beneficial. The photo shows students at a Malaysian university taking the CIPA assessment.
The long term plan for sustainability is to embed our competence-based content and assessment into university and college curriculum. We have submitted programs to the Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA) for equivalency status to assist with this. The Certified IP Associate program has already been awarded 4 credits which makes it easy to embed into existing courses. MQA is the agency appointed to implement the Malaysian Qualifications Framework (MQF) as a basis for quality assurance of higher education and as the reference point for the criteria and standards for national qualifications.
3. SkilPro Capability Centres
The SkilPro Capability Centres are lab ecosystems designed as a platform for both teaching and research. They come as a package with all the hardware and software, plus the competence-based training. Currently we have four centres:
These have been developed to assist colleges and universitites in building their capabilities in “cutting edge” technologies. For more information please check out our page here.
As an example, shown is the structure of the SkilPro capability centre for 4G/LTE
If you would like further information on any of the SkilPro Capability Centres please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In addition, we provide the following services to ensure that the capability centres are effectively utilised for R&D, Project assignment work and teaching purposes. Staff and students will become competent in the particular technologies as well as develop skills in analysis and problem solving in a test environment.
- SkilPro Capability Centre operations training
- 3 years technical support & advisory assistance
- Training & Certification for staff/students on the relevant technology areas
- Advice with suitable R&D areas for both undergraduate and postgraduate level using the Capability Centre
- Co-authoring of academic papers related to the relevant technology areas
- Provision of 2 x half-day talks per year on “hot topics” in technology
- Support in the enrollment of fresh graduates in the CCPS employment database
- The SkilPro Capability Centre are in “cutting edge” technologies; this assists in positioning the institute at the forefront of this technology and a leader in this area
- Forges stronger links with industry by understanding their issues and requirements in the technology area of focus thus providing opportunities for collaboration
- Builds confidence, analysis and critical thinking through a student-centred approach to learning
- Staff and Student Certification is aligned to the CCPS Professional Skills Framework which is supported by the Telecommunications Regulator, MCMC
- Institute will have a “live” SkilPro Capability Centre that is maintained by Orbitage for 3 years
- The SkilPro Capability Centre can be used for a wide range of engineering and IT projects
- Vendor independent approach to learning – students not only learn to “configure” & “manage” but develop competence in understanding the end-to-end system.
- Development of technical skills as required by industry
- Cutting edge skills will enhance Graduate Employability (GE) in the ICT sector
- Assistance with placement available a range of fibre installation and testing equipment. Shown are some of our fibre classes.
- “Hands on” experience on a live network will complement theory and enhance teaching ability
- Collaboration with Orbitage technical experts for 3 years – this can be in the form of seminars, advice on projects, co-authoring of papers, etc.
- Provides opportunities for research and development in this “cutting edge” technology
- Provides a valuable lab environment for student projects